If you aren’t sure that exercise can help your fatigue, mobility or independence then think again. Our pilot study showed reductions in fatigue, improvements in mobility and strength and 83% of participants continued after the study was completed!
The MS Get Head Start program is run both as a gym based program as well as a hydrotherapy pool program at a site 200 metres from ARC.
During your initial assessment with your ARC physiotherapist, they may refer you to the MS Get a Head Start program because:
- You have specific activity goals that you would like to achieve
- You are currently inactive and not exercising
- You are exercising but are unsure what is the best exercise for you and your MS
- You are concerned about your fatigue levels and exercise
- You are unsure how you can exercise with a physical limitation
- You struggle to stay motivated to exercise
- You are keen to learn and understand as much as you can about your MS to have a positive impact
Research shows that a six-week program improves cardiovascular fitness, fatigue, pain, strength, and can make positive changes in health behaviour in both MS and general populations. The physical aspects covered include warm ups, cool downs, strengthening, cardiovascular exercise, stretching, balance exercises and functional exercises.
During the program, there is a strong focus on self-management ensuring that you know exactly what you need to be doing to continue on with this beneficial exercise approach. You will receive an MS booklet to bring to sessions which discusses aspects of the disease and how to manage them.
Over the course of the group sessions, you will have a personalised exercise program to continue with independently and a detailed understanding of the positive impact of exercise on MS.
Anyone living with MS can benefit from the MS Get a Head Start program!